UK Buyers Unite!

Author (Read 3910 times)

Re: UK Buyers Unite!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 11:27:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Thinking on the comments above, a consolidation service certainly makes sense for an individual - but really this idea is looking at bulk orders from single suppliers, so I don't think we'd see the benefit.

I mentioned it because we all know manufacturers charge a serious mark-up on international orders from the US.  The margin's a little tighter for domestic orders - call it saving them the trouble of filling out customs forms.  While I couldn't say this with authority, it's distinctly possible that shipping domestically to a central location, then shipping internationally from there to the UK, could add up to some savings.  You'd have to do the math.  For a ballpark figure, factor that a deck of cards (3.3 ounces by itself) will weigh about 4-5 ounces with packing materials.  Then see what the assorted companies charge for international and domestic shipments and figure out what a reshipment service charges.

Make a sample deck order from two or three different companies.  Calculate this:

1) International shipping directly to the UK.

2) Domestic shipping to shipping service and shipping service's charge for consolidating and shipping to the UK.

Using the ballpark estimate I gave you and assuming three companies, four decks each, each shipment from the deck companies will weigh 12-15 ounces, while the consolidated shipment will weigh about 48-60 ounces, or about 3lbs to 3-2/3 lbs.

There's also another alternative.  If you could work through a UK-domestic company, oh, I dunno, maybe someone like THIS, maybe he'd be willing to tack your orders onto his own orders for a possible savings on shipping - and he's also got fulfillment locked in and ready to go.  He might be willing to help out his fellow members for a smaller premium than he charges at retail, since you could pay him up front.  No need to personally calculate anything - just ask him what he'd charge and how often he orders from whom.  Mind you, this is all hypothetical...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »

blastercast

• Forum Regular
  • I am generally strange
Put me down for:
1 pressers

You also know I already stand for an order off of you :)
-Benny
"...there is a fine line between wishing to produce child-like astonishment and treating people like infants."
Derren Brown

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Thinking on the comments above, a consolidation service certainly makes sense for an individual - but really this idea is looking at bulk orders from single suppliers, so I don't think we'd see the benefit.

I mentioned it because we all know manufacturers charge a serious mark-up on international orders from the US.  The margin's a little tighter for domestic orders - call it saving them the trouble of filling out customs forms.  While I couldn't say this with authority, it's distinctly possible that shipping domestically to a central location, then shipping internationally from there to the UK, could add up to some savings.  You'd have to do the math.  For a ballpark figure, factor that a deck of cards (3.3 ounces by itself) will weigh about 4-5 ounces with packing materials.  Then see what the assorted companies charge for international and domestic shipments and figure out what a reshipment service charges.

Make a sample deck order from two or three different companies.  Calculate this:

1) International shipping directly to the UK.

2) Domestic shipping to shipping service and shipping service's charge for consolidating and shipping to the UK.

Using the ballpark estimate I gave you and assuming three companies, four decks each, each shipment from the deck companies will weigh 12-15 ounces, while the consolidated shipment will weigh about 48-60 ounces, or about 3lbs to 3-2/3 lbs.

There's also another alternative.  If you could work through a UK-domestic company, oh, I dunno, maybe someone like THIS, maybe he'd be willing to tack your orders onto his own orders for a possible savings on shipping - and he's also got fulfillment locked in and ready to go.  He might be willing to help out his fellow members for a smaller premium than he charges at retail, since you could pay him up front.  No need to personally calculate anything - just ask him what he'd charge and how often he orders from whom.  Mind you, this is all hypothetical...

Don makes a very valid point, at least one to look into. I've been doing some proxy shipping/trading to Canada for bhong and it's been working out great. From what he tells me, and I'm sure he can chime in, even with having items shipped to me 1st  then off to him is saving him quite a bit. Now that being said, we have been acumulating decks and then sending one shippment flat rate to keep the cost down. Someting to consider and I'm sure the savings are there for you if you look into it.

A basic example, since I see some of you brought up club 808. Shipping to me in the states from 808 for 22 decks is $9.99........yes, $9.99. For me to ship those same decks to Canada after receiving tham is $41.00, Flat Rate Priority.  So if those 22 decks were split between 4 people lets say...........each person would be paying approx. $12.00 Shipping via Priority mail for 5 or 6 decks.

Of course you would all need to look into it, but again, take the time to do so, it could be beneficial.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:25:38 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 10:59:21 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I thought I'd chimed in a bit since Sparkz mentioned me.

I think the most important thing is to do your search to see with which company you'd save more a bulk order directly to the UK and which you'd save more by having a proxy to re-ship it to you in the UK. Just for shipping to Canada, I find that Theory11, Ellusionist and Dan & Dan have relatively the same shipping prices give or take a dollar or two. If I order enough decks, it averages out that with the shipping price, I'm paying a dollar more than the listed price since the initial cost to ship 1 deck is pretty high, close to 8-10$, but with each additional deck they only add 1-2$ more on top of the initial shipping so it really does pay to buy in bulk besides the bulk deck savings.

Others like CARC or Club 808 or Kickstarter decks, the bulk shipping price is really low or next to "nothing", especially for CARC as the shipping is included in the deck price. These ones are good to have someone be a proxy to re-ship decks to the UK, but part of that is finding out how much it cost to ship over there in a flat rate box and how much you can jam into it. Obviously, the more you can jam in the more you save when you average everything out.

The other issue that needs to be address is custom fees. I honestly don't know what gets charged what in the UK. I know for Canada, any playing card order's who listed value is under 100$ is normally pretty safe. This might be another area where the initial cost is higher, but each additional item is only a small increment increase so for a longer order, the cost averages out on a large order to be only a small additional cost.

My suggestion, like Don's, is to do the research and work to see what would really cost what and what is the best saving.

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 02:39:41 AM »

Barry Hurton

• Forum Regular
I think, legally, its any order under £135 isn't liable for tax. The main problem with it is we still have shipping this end as well - we'd have to pay for it to be shipped to the proxy, and then shipped from the proxy to someone over here, and then have them distributed... It is some serious number crunching.

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 02:50:31 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I think, legally, its any order under £135 isn't liable for tax. The main problem with it is we still have shipping this end as well - we'd have to pay for it to be shipped to the proxy, and then shipped from the proxy to someone over here, and then have them distributed... It is some serious number crunching.

If it can save you money, the numbers should be crunched, no?  Business Economics 101. In the end, it's up to you folks, but you shouldn't be afraid of a little math when trying to track down the most efficient, least costly way to get stuff from points A, B, C and D to point UK.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/