Bicycle Monster Montage (KS) - Relaunch

Author (Read 4011 times)

Bicycle Monster Montage (KS) - Relaunch
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:55:34 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
This is my first playing card project. I teased the project on my site but I wanted to drop the same info here.

In about a month’s time, Artist Carlos Bercini and I will be launching a custom playing card project on Kickstarter.com. We have been designing a playing card deck for release in late January called Bicycle Monster Montage. The deck is inspired by vintage monster and horror movies from the first half of the 20th century. While most of the designs are not being released at this time, we have decided to tease the new project by creating a teaser or “movie” poster that incorporates the major themes of the deck.

Below you will also see only two of the court card designs that will be featured in the project – The Mummy and Frankenstein’s monster. Two timeless monsters that are the epitome of the monster genre. Please keep your eyes out for more information on this project as it comes closer to the launch date in late January.

For those curious there will be no zombies apart of this deck. We really tried to pull from some classic monsters as well as make way for some monsters that haven't been given much attention. It will be a unique mix of monsters that haven't been overdone or played out.

Designs are subject to change.

http://tuckcase.com/2013/12/22/exclusive-bicycle-monster-montage-playing-cards-coming-late-january-kickstarter/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:29:59 PM by badpete69 »

Re: Bicycle Monster Montage - Launching Late January on Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:43:58 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Cool, looking forward to seeing what the back designs are like.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It sounds like you're on the right track with this, but I'd lose the court divider composed of a film reel and a few inches of footage and replace it with something else, perhaps something more closely associated with the monster in question - bats for a vampire, heavy cables for Frankenstein's monster, etc., unless you're planning to tie some element from the back of the deck as well to movies.  In your shoes, I'd rather cement a direct connection with the monsters in my audience's mind than a connection to the film industry and the studios that made these monsters more of a household name.  You never know when someone at Name-Your-Studio Pictures' legal department might decide to go sniffing your way - best to avoid even the chance of an association than spending money fighting your case in court.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 01:14:45 AM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for the feedback. Back design will be released a few weeks before launch.

As far as the divider goes, I really wanted to tie this in with film or the theater. During this whole process and going forward I will explore other ways to separate the cards.  Using something more related to the actual monster might actually be awesome.

What I have been told by a rep from Universal is that they only have rights to their specific characters (like Universal's Boris karloff Version of Frankenstein). They can't come down on me for using a film reel in the same image of another version of the monster. IF it isn't their monster in the image, they have nothing to come after me for.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 01:44:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks for the feedback. Back design will be released a few weeks before launch.

As far as the divider goes, I really wanted to tie this in with film or the theater. During this whole process and going forward I will explore other ways to separate the cards.  Using something more related to the actual monster might actually be awesome.

What I have been told by a rep from Universal is that they only have rights to their specific characters (like Universal's Boris karloff Version of Frankenstein). They can't come down on me for using a film reel in the same image of another version of the monster. IF it isn't their monster in the image, they have nothing to come after me for.

Ah, but there is a NEW Frankenstein movie hitting theaters very soon starring Aaron Eckhart as the monster - you might want to check promo photos or the trailer to insure your Frank doesn't look too close to their Frank...

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Here is the back design mockup. Simple with red color.

Looking to launch late January/early feb once we get approvals and finalize everything.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »

vmagic

Nobody seems to be thrilled with the back design from the lack if responses?

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
I kinda like the back design and it's theater feel and also the movie reel that divides the courts. It keeps the theme in place.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
yeah I am in a weird spot. I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on this. Usually people chime in regardless of their feelings on it. Love or hate it the forums seem like a place for opinions. Not sure what people think at this point.

here is the tuck case design. Note - we will be removed the fold marks on the box. 

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It's a nice deck, Scott, but it's just not to my tastes.  There's been a few movie monster decks now; that could be why the response is a little lacking.

Monster Montage Bicycle® Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member

Re: Monster Montage Bicycle® Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 08:27:45 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 08:31:36 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
I believe this deck could be improved by blowing up the monsters pictured in the courts. As-is, their small size makes them seem less significant. The back design could have thinner borders and please remove "monster montage" and just leave the Right side up, upside down "M" graphic.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 08:32:11 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Yashi.  Always check if there is already a thread in the plethora section before starting a new one

Thanks

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »

Yashi

• Elite Member
Woops. I thought I read somewhere that a new thread is started when a project from the design goes live. Apologies.  :(

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
No worries my friend. We start a new thread if the first thread was in another section mostly in the Design and Development section. But we already had one early thread in this section on this deck. That is all I meant.   So many decks it is hard to keep track

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 09:10:44 PM »

Cardguy504

• Newcomer
Looks pretty awesome! Might get a few!!

Re: Bicycle Monster Montage (KS) - Relaunch
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 12:31:09 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:33:21 PM by badpete69 »