Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
There are some interesting ideas in there, and the artist clearly has a style. I will not be surprised if USPCC gives him a hassle about the edge details and lines he is trying. I do have to admit that my first thought was "Somebody is clearly a fan of Hydro74." (http://hydro74.com/)
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: Antithesis Deck - Kickstarter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
This is interesting. I like the art. I'm going to keep my eye on this.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 06:56:22 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!
This is interesting. I like the art. I'm going to keep my eye on this.
I agree, Sher. I'm going to keep an eye open, also!  :P
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:50 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I like so far. Definitely one to check.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 03:36:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There are some interesting ideas in there, and the artist clearly has a style. I will not be surprised if USPCC gives him a hassle about the edge details and lines he is trying. I do have to admit that my first thought was "Somebody is clearly a fan of Hydro74." (http://hydro74.com/)

OR maybe one of the people behind it IS Hydro74!

For some bizarre reason, this deck isn't grabbing my attention so much.  Maybe it's that there's so little color to it beyond black and red.  Stuff like this is usually right up my alley, but this one's not lighting a fire under my ass.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 03:52:08 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I actually like the "diamond skeleton" of what could very likely be the court card. The overgrowth of diamonds on the skeleton is pretty neat. I just hope there will be some subtle difference in theme between all four suits.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:15:20 PM »

Cardguy504

• Newcomer
I like it alot! I think a bit more color might be good. Too much chaos of one color in my opinion. I will defiantly look more into this deck. 

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 11:25:48 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Wow. Very, VERY cool.

It's elaborate, complex, interesting, but somehow avoids being overly cheesy. I will definitely be picking a deck up.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 11:26:06 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 11:49:06 PM »

CrankUP

• Forum Regular

• Twitter:
Skulls and bones again though?
Broke for cards

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:36 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

At least it is not zombie, steampunk or cthulhu  :P

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:

Even though the concept of skulls 'n bones is bit tired, the execution is fresh.

They aren't really used in the same "dark, intense, death" way most decks use skulls and bones. They're used more as a base structure for the human body; and the theme is sort of a mystical, cosmic, and shamanic combination. Quite interesting, imo.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:10:22 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 12:08:37 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

At least it is not zombie, steampunk or cthulhu  :P

Amen to that!

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 03:05:43 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
I have a feeling that the poorly structured reward tiers will end up making this deck fail to meet the goal. Other than the early bird, there aren't really any levels that seem all that great

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:47 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I have a feeling that the poorly structured reward tiers will end up making this deck fail to meet the goal. Other than the early bird, there aren't really any levels that seem all that great

I agree. While i think this deck is probably good enough to hit its goal, his reward tiers actually are not that great to make people want to pledge immediately. I do hope he has some stretch goals or add ons soon. I believe i commented on this before, but there are quite a number of nice decks out there that i believe failed to make the cut because of high cost per deck, high international shipping cost, or simply average pledge tiers. Rewarding pledge tiers that make people want to pledge immediately for fear of losing a good deal can give the project a very good boost and momentum. It might result in picking up less serious collectors or just a "window shopper" when u have a 75% funded project in just mere hours as compared to one that is 10% funded.

It just seems that while the design factor is probably the most important, designers and creators keep forgetting that there are other factors that require some research or calculation that will help in the project as well.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 01:09:25 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Yeah,  I think the creator should have provided a tier for two decks from the get-go and maybe an early bird tier for two decks,  too.  The creator just added a two deck tier so it seems like he's listening to backers.  A three deck tier would be nice too.  And add-ons.  That would make rewards more flexible. 

Regarding the design,  like I mentioned before,  I think it's interesting.  Looking at the Kickstarter page,  I see that one end of the court is a skeleton and the other isn't. That makes it a one way,  but I like it even more. 

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 04:31:09 AM »

MichaelRyanNorton

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Firdawesome - Thanks for posting!

Hi Paul! - I was sitting beside Adam last week when we discovered this post and I asked him if he'd heard of Hydro74 - he had not. Our influences are along the lines of sacred geometry and ancient mysticism or mythology, with a touch of scientific illustration - think Ernst Haeckl meets the Illuminati, they get high on platonic solids and have a dream about the meaning and cycle of life or the universe. Not sure if Adam would agree with that.

jwats01 - I just sent you a note about setting up an interview. We'd love to talk more about the Antithesis project.

Don - Your patient, detailed posts here have been very helpful during my research.  You rock! We promise to light a fire under your ass before the gig is up!

PurpleIce - Interesting that your name is "ice" and you're attracted to the crystalline structures on the Jack of Diamonds… hmmm. I think you'll like what we do with that theme.

Cardguy504 - We're working with this, color and density of detail, seeking balance - we'll find it! Thanks for your thoughts. Keep 'em coming.

MrMollusk - You're picking up what we're laying down! Thank you for really looking at it. This will become more and more apparent as the designs develop over the next 4 weeks. We're going to avoid cheesy like the plague. We'll also be shifting away from the current graphic design feel a bit and toward a more traditional printed card feel, reminiscent of the origins of printing. I think you'll see it in the next few designs. And if it's well received the first few courts which we've shared will be reworked as well. 

sr15 - Antithesis will succeed!

Sher143 - We're definitely listening to all of our backers, as well as keeping an eye on discussions like this one. 

I've added 2 and 3 deck reward tiers, as well as an add-on pricing schedule. My apologies for not having those up on launch day. We have some cool stuff planned as stretch goals and will announce those fairly soon.

We are almost ready to reveal a two-way card back offering, which has been the most requested feature so far.

Cheers!
Michael Ryan Norton // Seattle

Re: Antithesis Deck (KS)
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 02:44:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Michael - I want to thank you for stopping by and touching all the bases, replying to the comments left by our posters.  Your commitment to listening to potential and actual backers bodes well for the future of the campaign.  I don't know if you'll convert me to a backer or not, but I can see the deck does indeed have merit - I can't call it ugly or bad by any stretch.  It may simply not be to my tastes, or maybe it's the tightwad in me that's saving for a new car!  Either way, I wish you the best of luck with your project - please feel free to stop in at any time, perhaps even check out our other topics.  Many of the designers of the most popular decks on Kickstarter call this place their home away from home, so you'd be in very good company!

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 02:12:37 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Don - Your patient, detailed posts here have been very helpful during my research.  You rock! We promise to light a fire under your ass before the gig is up!

Please add this as a stretch goal "literally lighting a fire under Don's ass".

I've added 2 and 3 deck reward tiers, as well as an add-on pricing schedule. My apologies for not having those up on launch day. We have some cool stuff planned as stretch goals and will announce those fairly soon.

Thanks for listening.

But, as i said, sometimes people just miss out on some calculations. Just FYI, pledging for 1 deck and add-on 1 is cheaper than buying 2 decks straight for international. The one cheapskate ass who pledge 1 deck for $34 is me. Throw in a few cool stuff and i might up my pledge.   :P

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 02:50:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Please add this as a stretch goal "literally lighting a fire under Don's ass".

Good thing Santa bought me fireproof undies...

Seriously, just because I'm not big on getting a deck, doesn't mean it's not worth getting.  To each his own.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »

MichaelRyanNorton

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Don, it's my pleasure.  I thought owning a car was like the Antithesis of being a New Yorker. 

@PurpleIce - I have added the Don's Ass-Fire Tier.  Only the pure of heart can see the tier or pledge for it.  It's really quite beautiful, isn't it?  Doh! You found a loophole in my pricing schedule! Let's just keep that between us, shall we?   Keep your eye out for that cool stuff.  It's coming!

3D
Michael Ryan Norton // Seattle

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 02:06:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, it's my pleasure.  I thought owning a car was like the Antithesis of being a New Yorker. 

@PurpleIce - I have added the Don's Ass-Fire Tier.  Only the pure of heart can see the tier or pledge for it.  It's really quite beautiful, isn't it?  Doh! You found a loophole in my pricing schedule! Let's just keep that between us, shall we?   Keep your eye out for that cool stuff.  It's coming!

Sure, having a car isn't typical - for a Manhattanite.  But if you live in the other four boroughs, it becomes a useful thing to have, especially if you extend your reach beyond that of the NYC Subway System.  Staten Islanders don't even have connections to the subways, just a commuter rail line that runs north-south through the middle of the island.  They want to go to Manhattan, they can take a ferry or drive/ride over a few bridges and/or tunnels, that's it.

Not every deck is to my liking, just as not every deck fits in my budget, that's all there is to it.  My old car is not getting any younger.