You are Here:
new D+M deck - Madison Hustler

Author (Read 17282 times)

new D+M deck - Madison Hustler
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:09 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

last time we have 3 topic abt decks incoming of D+M, 2 had been released - Gamblers Gaffs and White Rounders, dont know this could be the "Axe King" we heard before so i make a new topic, if it is same, feel free to delete or combine  :P

Players, Rounders, Dealers, Gamblers, and now Hustlers, wonder if any Cheaters could come  ;D

Re: new D+M deck - Madison Hustler
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:49:29 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
D+M tweeted

Nothing will prepare you for the Madison Hustlers.

and I thought to myself... "except for about 50 tweets a day and 10 teaser pics, a video from Peter McKinnon and an entire promotional campaign from Ellusionist."
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:54:14 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
We did have a topic but we did not know the name. It was then known as an unnamed deck that Madison mentioned with the Gamblers and New Rounders in an update "on the fly" video. The Kings Playing Cards is something entirely different.

This is supposedly something Madison has never done before? I will reserve judgment for later. The AOS is NOT a good sign of things to come.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:48:48 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's it just me or have Madison decks joined the ranks of steampunk, Dia de los Muertos, Cthulhu and zombies?

The next deck just seems like Madison's Clockwork Elder Sugar Skull Zombies...  It's a confusing mish-mash, and uniqueness has been chucked out the window a while ago.

Don't get me wrong, Madison's a nice guy, but the decks named after him have definitively jumped the shark.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:41:08 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »

formula

• Where's Jerry?
I really like the DM series of cards and love the small details that aren't apparent at first glance. I think they're all still quite unique. Unfortunately I think his main customer/fan base are children who think he's cool because he acts like he doesn't care. I really struggle to watch him perform anything, or even talk because he comes across as such a try hard and I don't buy his products because I don't wish to fuel something I don't like but his cards are really nice.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 01:48:19 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
I like using DM decks as they handle very well but the design is getting a little old.  I would hope that he was going to start using a new design since the rounders series is supposedly finished.

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
there are already 9 Madison decks.... NINE

This makes 10... Ellusionist is milking this for everything it's worth.

Another very easy pass for me
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 02:06:56 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
there are already 9 Madison decks.... NINE

This makes 10... Ellusionist is milking this for everything it's worth.

Another very easy pass for me

D&D had S&Ms. I'm guessing E doesn't want to lose out either. Lets just hope the rest don't follow suit.

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 08:22:43 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
PurpleIce,

the difference is that D&D have released their S&M over the last 6-7 years.  Ellusionist the last 2 years
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 11:55:01 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
It's it just me or have Madison decks joined the ranks of steampunk, Dia de los Muertos, Cthulhu and zombies?

The next deck just seems like Madison's Clockwork Elder Sugar Skull Zombies...  It's a confusing mish-mash, and uniqueness has been chucked out the window a while ago.

Don't get me wrong, Madison's a nice guy, but the decks named after him have definitively jumped the shark.

We are all nice in person. I know you met him in Brooklyn. I doubt Madison would be a complete asshole to someone.

I don't know that I agree 100% with your analogy. The Steampunk, Zombie and lets add Nautical decks, that have been produced recently are different perspectives of the same subject. This is blatant overuse of the same logo to the point its become damaging to his brand. I can't blame Madison for all of it. I believe the blame starts with Brad Christian. Brad can say no.

I really like the DM series of cards and love the small details that aren't apparent at first glance. I think they're all still quite unique. Unfortunately I think his main customer/fan base are children who think he's cool because he acts like he doesn't care. I really struggle to watch him perform anything, or even talk because he comes across as such a try hard and I don't buy his products because I don't wish to fuel something I don't like but his cards are really nice.

I don't believe the "Madison" main customer/fan base are children, the "industry" main customer/fan base are teenagers. That's basically who they are teaching magic too. I believe you can teach an old dog new tricks. However, if your in your 30's/40's and you were never into magic before or simply gave up (life happens), I would say that older customer/fan base gradually gets watered down.

Knowing you have a young audience you influence, is Ellusionist taking responsibility for Madison's actions? Watching Madison drinking out of a flask or a bottle of Jim Beam is not responsible branding by Madison. Seeing Madison point his fingers to his head as if it was a gun is not responsible branding by Madison either. Teenagers think that's cool. Teenagers think cigarettes are cool also. While Ellusionist and Madison are two separate entities and have separate branding concepts, Madison does work for Ellusionist.  Madison's antics help sell his playing cards.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:09:04 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 08:15:25 PM »

formula

• Where's Jerry?
Teenagers, for the most part are children. When I was younger and went to conventions it was mostly populated by over 30's so I don't think magicians get watered down by age at all.
No one was debating whether his antics affect sales.

The irony of the quote in your signature is beautiful.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Teenagers, for the most part are children. When I was younger and went to conventions it was mostly populated by over 30's so I don't think magicians get watered down by age at all.
No one was debating whether his antics affect sales.

The irony of the quote in your signature is beautiful.

If my actions followed the words of my signature, I would not be on any forum or buying any products mentioned here. Its ironic for all of us. Certainly, we are not discussing world affairs.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:55:27 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 09:01:11 PM »

vmagic

Haven't even received the last Madisons and already he's teasing the next one, at least give us a break.

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 02:58:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Haven't even received the last Madisons and already he's teasing the next one, at least give us a break.

Have you checked with Ellusionist customer service, or are you still waiting for his deck from T11 to arrive?

(Be a LITTLE more specific if you're lodging a complaint, or keep it to yourself.)

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

update new pics, if this is the back of deck, i'll passed without any regret, i dont want to be played with this ugly even it marked or else

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 05:41:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, Daniel Madison - I'm officially over your decks.  I no longer consider resizing your logo and changing the colors a bit "designing a deck".  I think you're a great guy, very personable and nice to talk with, but I'm not buying these.  I won't throw them away if they arrive for free - I'll pass them on to the kids at the hospital, naturally...

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 06:57:20 AM »

splice42

• True Member
That picture with the butterfly knife and the blood drops is just too much... That kind of marketing is over-the-top ridiculous IMO.

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »

Marcus

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran
I'm going to await the back design of these before I make up my mind but it's a bit underwhelming so far. Too bad, it's a very nice logo to start off with so there's a lot of stuff that could be done with it.
Yes, I might be the guy you remember from that thing at that place way back when.

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 02:00:50 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
The jig is up! We've been hustled.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 02:01:26 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:22 PM »

formula

• Where's Jerry?
I think they look great, and they're in interesting colours. Naturally there will be another colour variant rewarded for spending x amount of money. Even though I really dislike the DM brand and it will really eat away at me that I've contributed to that it's a very possible purchase for me.

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I think they look great, and they're in interesting colours. Naturally there will be another colour variant rewarded for spending x amount of money. Even though I really dislike the DM brand and it will really eat away at me that I've contributed to that it's a very possible purchase for me.

You don't like the Madison brand but your going to buy them anyway? Who are you bluffing? You either know Madison personally or you are DM?

I happen to like the Madison brand very much. However, this is gluttonous misuse.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:29:55 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 04:23:52 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
Nah, this is for sure a pass.  I don't like the design at all.  I do like the rounders and dealers but these just look weird to me.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2014, 06:42:52 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The registration of that white side border is going to be a nightmare, unfortunately. I like the bold design but imagine if a "Non famous" person like me tried to pass off 10 decks all with the same motif. I'd be sunk, for sure.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2014, 10:38:42 PM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

2 colors again, one must be limited like usual, fanning look nice but nah not worth  :bosswalk:

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 11:31:01 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
The two colours picked are interested though I'm curious how orange/red that second colour is. I guess if it's someone's first Madison deck, it's not a bad choice. Otherwise, it'd be nice if they had a V2 of the Madison logo or something to change it up a bit.

I'm surprised about the white "railing" on the cards as if registration is exact on that, it'll show worst than a full bleed design.