You are Here:
Hurricane Playing Cards "The Storm Has Arrived" (KS)

Author (Read 4627 times)

Hurricane Playing Cards "The Storm Has Arrived" (KS)
« on: May 07, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:49:47 PM by badpete69 »

Re: Hurricane Playing Cards "The Storm Has Arrived" (KS)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
OMG:

"There are four uncut sheets available as well. These are a one time offer for KS only. Below are graphics closely representing what you will get. Two of the pledge levels include a deck of cards as well as the corresponding un-cut sheet."

You can ask for uncut backs OR fronts of each deck.

ROTFL

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
I'll take just the uncut backs please. Don't send the deck or the uncut fronts. Just send me an uncut sheet of 52 card backs.

Overall though,  it's nice artwork, and the deck does look very good. Not sure what to think about the theme. Part of me feels like its kinda inappropriate,  but another part of me thinks it's just kinda one of those fun things that just gets taken the wrong way.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:47:05 PM by BeDoubleYou »

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 02:24:57 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
I do like the the card back for the "full color" back is completely black and white, that sounds about right.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 03:03:29 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There's a lot about this deck that works - but it needs some serious fine-tuning.  Rouselle, if you would extend the olive branch, please?  :))

These designers need my consulting services like you need clean drinking water...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:02:10 PM »

Almond Twist

• Newcomer
Hello all - ! This is Steve - I'm part of a small team that put these cards together. First off - thanks for the feedback. I feel all of the comments from "is it appropriate" to "needs tweaks".

I want to give you just a little background as you guys don't know me from jack. I started a forum in 1999 called ISS Forums which turned into Solecollector.com. When I started the forum I had 700 members (within 3 months) which I thought was great. I sold Sole Collector last year and when I sold it we had 400,000+ members and 5 million uniques per month. The site is dedicated to sneakers - we interview people like MJ / Kobe / LeBron as well as designers from the big brands (and small ones). What I have learned over the past 11 years of working with the collecting community - RESPECT! Forums are such a great place to be educated as well as to give information / feedback. I wanted to buy a new watch a few years ago - first thing I did was go to the best watch forum and started asking questions. I truly respect the people who take the time to educate the "newbies" as well as provide information about the latest and greatest cards.

So - I'm a newbie in the sense that this is my first deck of cards that I'm creating. Now I have a nice start to a collection of cards... I have more sneakers than card but I have a feeling that is going to be reversed before you know it. As for the hurricane cards... well - I hate hurricanes. I have a house in Key Largo that is made out of concrete and really don't have to worry too much... just put the hurricane shutters up. But I have a boat (sailing catamaran) and man - it super sucks - have to tie it down - take the sails off - and of course 90% of the time the storm misses us so it was all for nothing. But if you don't do it - you'll get hit square in the nuts.....

Hurricanes are serious things and I hope that the cards reflect this. I don't take the death and distraction lightly. I wanted to pay tribute to the hurricanes but also wanted to educate people with this deck. On top of that - there is a very special card in the deck, the Queen of Diamonds. This card is dedicated to my friend who owns Category Three Bar... his wife of 30 years passed away of breast cancer. I told him that we were going to do a deck of cards based on hurricanes and I told him I wanted to interview him about why he chose Cat 3 for the name of his restaurant. He didn't know that I had made a card dedicated to his wife and in the video you can see his reaction when he first saw it. Pretty much brought us all to tears when he said "yep, that is her... that was when she was going through her hurricane." Chokes me up even typing that...

On a much lighter note. This is my first deck of cards and I have a great team around me that helped create these cards as well as a small team to ship them out. We have our second deck in the works right now and I'm going to take what I've learned here and apply it to the next project. I will tell you this - the next deck is 100% ridiculous..... I truly believe even the hardcore collectors will be stoked....!

As for this deck needing tweaks. It is tough - we worked so hard on these cards and we had to stop and hit the print button at some point in time. The cards aren't done - they are still being tweaked.... and I firmly believe what will be created will be top shelf!

Any ideas / comments / please let me know. I have thick skin....!_steve

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
Hi Steve, welcome to the boards.

As far as your cards go, I do like the idea behind it but it is slightly confusing in some aspects.  The way the pips are angled and in their own little design on the face cards is peculiar and makes it slightly impractical.  I say this because if I was playing a game with this deck of cards or doing tricks, I would need to make sure the value and suit are quickly and easily displayed.

On a more "design" aspect, the names should also curve with the "scroll" they are written on.  I will also tell you that the fact that these are one way designs on both face and back of the cards will cause some people to pass right away.

I think you could have something but be careful to not go overboard with so many textures and background and designs that the decks end up to feel more cluttered than anything else.

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 06:48:45 PM »

Almond Twist

• Newcomer
Shebhnt -  I very much appreciate your constructive criticism. It is funny - I bought a number of decks from KS and most aren't playable for me (usually the numbers / letters are too small or they blend into the background too much). I'm going to have my artist work on this right now to see if we can update these some before they go to press. We have four weeks - which sounds like a lot but I'm sure it will be here before I know it._steve

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 10:34:38 AM »

Almond Twist

• Newcomer
We have received a lot of feedback from many people and a few forums. I take the feedback seriously as I'm not only trying to make a great deck for me - I want to make a great deck for you. And this deck - well - isn't perfect but we are going to fix some of the issues like mirroring the courts and updating the backs. Here is a screenshot from my artist updating the name of the hurricane so it is now mirrored instead of reading only one way. Thanks again for your feedback and support. I'm incredibly appreciative._steve

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
That does help, I actually don't care too much about one way designs but I know that some people won't even give a deck a chance if it does (unless the one way part is supposed to be hidden)

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 01:31:07 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Thanks for listening to feedbacks. It makes potential buyer feel well involved in the deck as well. So here goes...

Firstly, i touch on pledge levels because they are easiest. OMG..they are so confusing. Firstly, your pledge levels offered does not tally with the one you put in the description. It would be better if you also use thumbnail images of what you are going to offer for each pledge so people can easily identify at one glance instead of writing it out.

There is mention of USPC printing (Bicycle Branded) as one of the stretch goals, together with embossed box, metallic ink...etc. But no mentioned of what is the target of the stretch goals? How much before getting USPC decks? or before getting embossed box?

Also, what is the print run going to be like? 1000? 2500? or simply as many as there are orders? Limited edition does not sound so limited to me when it can be bought after KS at a bar with no indication of how many decks will be printed.

Now to the deck itself. I'm not too fond of the standard edition tuckbox with the backing as the front of the tuck, and the back of the tuckbox is a blown tree. Yes it is a hurricane deck, but i just thought the tuck could be designed much better, and in more co-relation to the deck. And the Limited edition tuckbox looks lazy. Shouldn't limited edition stuff look better?

The way the pips are angled and in their own little design on the face cards is peculiar and makes it slightly impractical.  I say this because if I was playing a game with this deck of cards or doing tricks, I would need to make sure the value and suit are quickly and easily displayed.

I agree with Shebhnt here. I understand and do have many decks myself that probably are not suited for playing. But isn't making it playable better? If it has no relation to the theme of the deck, then why not adjust it to make it more playable? Unless e.g. you are telling me the pips are slanted to indicate the wind direction or something.

Also, the indices are a little big for my liking on the individual card, but the look perfectly normal on the uncut sheet image. If i were to compare both 6 of Diamonds, together with the points it appears on the background, the indices on the uncut sheet indeed looks smaller. Just wondering if both images are to scale.

The jokers, if they are to be as seen on your uncut sheet, feels very out of theme with your deck, and even more so with the colour inverted jokers on your limited edition deck. Perhaps it could be replaced with your "tree" image, but with an abstract face formed by the blowing wind or something. It doesn't have to literally be an image of a joker.

I also notice the background to be a map, but is there any reason why these certain parts of the map are chosen? You might want to consider using different areas of the map as a background so the when it is pieced together as a whole uncut sheet, it will form a gigantic map of, what i presume, America? I think this would add more collectibility to your uncut sheets.

These are just some of my personal opinions. Like i always say, filter what you need to make improvements and still remain your own deck. I do think this deck has some potential and i wish you all the best.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You pointed out some issues I agree with, PurpleIce, regarding the tiers and goals.  I actually gave this gentleman a consultation last night regarding aspects of the design.

The map thing is, I presume, locations of the hurricanes mentioned in the court cards.  It's not meant to be a map of the US to link together, because a large portion of the US doesn't really get hurricanes.  It's probably been forever since a cat-5 storm hit North Dakota, for example...

I do have an interesting thought for the next deck, assuming he makes a short series out of this: legendary hurricanes and typhoons from around the world.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 08:43:42 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »

Almond Twist

• Newcomer
Hello all - the team has been heads down working hard on the updates to the cards. I hope to have a finalized direction soon as I don't want people to get more confused about this project than they already are! Trying to make the cards as clean as possible while showing off the artwork... pretty much decluttering right now.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »

Almond Twist

• Newcomer
PurpleIce - I'll get answered to your questions soon. Heads down trying to get these images done with my artist before the end of the night.

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 04:30:17 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
The map thing is, I presume, locations of the hurricanes mentioned in the court cards.  It's not meant to be a map of the US to link together, because a large portion of the US doesn't really get hurricanes.  It's probably been forever since a cat-5 storm hit North Dakota, for example...

That was what i initially presumed as well, and it would be legit if it was that case. But looking at the uncut sheet, there are different locations between each suit and each number, some repeated while others are not.  If it were the locations in the court cards, 3 courts in a suit, how does it work out?

I'm just questioning if the background has a logic or if it was done at random based on a few hurricane struck areas. If random, just wondering if it could be done better? maybe not piecing out the whole of America, but the coastal line of the hurricane-hit areas?

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 06:34:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That was what i initially presumed as well, and it would be legit if it was that case. But looking at the uncut sheet, there are different locations between each suit and each number, some repeated while others are not.  If it were the locations in the court cards, 3 courts in a suit, how does it work out?

I'm just questioning if the background has a logic or if it was done at random based on a few hurricane struck areas. If random, just wondering if it could be done better? maybe not piecing out the whole of America, but the coastal line of the hurricane-hit areas?

I think that is roughly what he had going on with the courts before he removed the map backgrounds from them.  With all the elements in the card face, though, the background was lost in the shuffle (get it, shuffle?)...  :))

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »

Almond Twist

• Newcomer
Getting closer to something that I like a lot more than when I started. Thanks for all the comments / advise. All was taken into consideration and we are shooting our prints tomorrow and will have a big update right after.

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 05:55:06 PM »

ecNate

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Kickstarter:
I gotta say this has come a long way in short order.  It's very professional of you to receive the input and filter it for changes while remaining unemotional.  Glad you reached out and listened.  I really hope you make your goal, but believe if not this time it will be on a relaunch.  LOTS of time left though, I think you'll be just fine!   :D

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »

Almond Twist

• Newcomer
Thanks ecNate - no doubt it was a hard pill to swallow. It is one thing for someone to say they don't like your Chevy because they like Ford... it is another thing to have something you created get crushed online by people on KS to the forums to even friends...! But I can honestly say - without the input from this forum and the rest of the world that gave us advice - our deck is WAY BETTER!

I'm just damn glad that I have the chance to work on a project like this as it is pretty cool going back and fourth with some of you guys offline. Some of the phone calls where so enlightening - and the passion - I could hear it in their voices and that is what has motivated me to work that much harder. Even though this deck was a project for my family and I in the beginning - it has turned into a project to meet the needs of a whole new group of people that I didn't know before.... that makes the long hours - day after day - so much easier.

Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure! There is still some work to do but man... these cards are going to be so sweet when they are printed!! And the next deck... get ready for something unique and powerful.

Thanks again for all of your comments and time on the phone. I truly appreciate them and hopefully these adjustments the cards have enough horsepower meets its goal this time around.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:54:50 AM by Almond Twist »

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 05:10:30 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A recommendation - I noticed in the card fan with the faces visible, the indices are coming across in a variety of sizes.  Uniformity is best for an index - same height and width on every card.  In general, the value is most often seen at twice the height of the suit pip - you could change it a bit if you wanted, but regardless, you want a uniform index size from card to card.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »

Almond Twist

• Newcomer
Thanks Don - the artist is working on the latest rendition with all value / pips uniform. He started yesterday - hope to see the updates early next week.