You are Here:
Glad to be here!

Author (Read 3206 times)

Glad to be here!
« on: May 14, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hello to all you playing card aficionados .. I'm new to the Discourse, but a long time Collector. Looking forward to discussing and sharing thoughts on this GREAT hobby!

Cheers....  Slowhand

Re: Glad to be here!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 01:22:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello to all you playing card aficionados .. I'm new to the Discourse, but a long time Collector. Looking forward to discussing and sharing thoughts on this GREAT hobby!

Cheers....  Slowhand

Welcome aboard, Slowhand.  What have you been collecting, in terms of styles, age, etc.?  What are some of your favorites?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hello Don, I collect any deck that catches my eye!... These days, after 35+ years of collecting, i mainly collect rare US & foreign decks... but since they are so expensive , few and far between.. at least for me who has 2 children going into college and another finishing college..i have been concentrating on Early, Wide Congress 606 decks... but even those that i don't have rarely turn up. So i've become a Kickstarter Addict.. (What my lovely children call me!)... I really like what all these young, graphic artiste, computer saavy hotshots are designing... some really great decks... But I will be posting some nice old stuff to show them what REAL playing cards were like! :-) lol

Cheers... Slowhand

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
We look forward to seeing your posts in the Cellar of Fine Vintages - also we want to put you in as a 52+J member so you can access that Board here at Discourse, so let me know by PM or email who you are. Thanks   Tom
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hey Mista T. it's me.. Colin Brady aka "Slowhand" from REAL early E-bay days...  :t11:

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Hey Mista T. it's me.. Colin Brady aka "Slowhand" from REAL early E-bay days...  :t11:
Well, well, well! A voice from the past - welcome Colin and hope this is a sigh that we'll be seeing, and hearing more from, you in the future. Charleston looks like it will be just great! I'm about to change your credentials to allow access to the Club board. You can help make some things happen there! Had forgotten the old handle till you mentioned it here. Should have figured it out.
T
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 08:12:57 AM by 52plusjoker »
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
I've been collecting cards since i was 15 years old...going on 53 now..ugh  I collect Pre-1930 American & Foreign decks. It's VERY hard to say what my favorites are as there are just so damn many great decks of cards out there! But, if pigeonholed, i'd have to say that early War/Military and historical decks are at the top of my list followed closely by Early Advertising, Transformations, and Standard decks.. As a sideline i collect Wide Congress 606 decks. Since the begining of this year I have become an avid supporter of many of the great Kickstarter decks that have been put out... lots of great decks!! I'm looking forward to adding my voice to the discussion of this GREAT hobby and hopefully expose it to new collectors. for the life of me i still can't understand why it's not a more popular collectible... the Artwork, History, Printing/design techniques, Displayability, education value (you can learn a hell of a lot from them there 52 cards... well the Non-standard ones.. lol)... it all adds up to a fascinating hobby!

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've been collecting cards since i was 15 years old...going on 53 now..ugh  I collect Pre-1930 American & Foreign decks. It's VERY hard to say what my favorites are as there are just so damn many great decks of cards out there! But, if pigeonholed, i'd have to say that early War/Military and historical decks are at the top of my list followed closely by Early Advertising, Transformations, and Standard decks.. As a sideline i collect Wide Congress 606 decks. Since the begining of this year I have become an avid supporter of many of the great Kickstarter decks that have been put out... lots of great decks!! I'm looking forward to adding my voice to the discussion of this GREAT hobby and hopefully expose it to new collectors. for the life of me i still can't understand why it's not a more popular collectible... the Artwork, History, Printing/design techniques, Displayability, education value (you can learn a hell of a lot from them there 52 cards... well the Non-standard ones.. lol)... it all adds up to a fascinating hobby!

It makes me glad to find someone so enthusiastic about both cards of history and modern custom decks.  You'll fit in here like a hand in a glove (holding a four-of-a-kind)...

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 12:51:07 PM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hey Don... I'm holding mine "Close to the Vest"... ;)

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 11:41:14 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hey Don... I'm holding mine "Close to the Vest"... ;)

You sound like a regular jokester - my kind of people!  Hope you'll be at the convention in October.

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Howdy Don, i wanted to post a few of my decks fro the viewers Pleasure/displeasure lol...  should i just go to "the cellar of Fine (un-Alcoholic) Vintages, hit the reply button and attach them there? Or is there a better way that only the Card Illuminati know and use...lol  Thanks
PS: I would LOVE to make the convention in Oct. If i have any Vacation time left, i'm sure going to try.. Slowhand

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Howdy Don, i wanted to post a few of my decks fro the viewers Pleasure/displeasure lol...  should i just go to "the cellar of Fine (un-Alcoholic) Vintages, hit the reply button and attach them there? Or is there a better way that only the Card Illuminati know and use...lol  Thanks
PS: I would LOVE to make the convention in Oct. If i have any Vacation time left, i'm sure going to try.. Slowhand

We're using a rule of thumb that if a deck is more than 20 years old, the Cellar is the place to talk about it.  We welcome people posting rarities from their collection - which reminds me, I still have a lot of photos to go through from the trip to the Field collection earlier this month...

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 01:06:22 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hey Don, i was actually fortunate enough to buy several decks from Albert Field himself some 20 or so years ago.. Wonderful collection.. I actually "Gave away" a superb deck to Tom & Judy D. in a trade many years ago... ahhh.. to turn back the clock.
I've posted a few decks at the "Cellar"... hope people enjoy them...
Colin

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 03:56:33 PM »

Cryptocard27

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Happy to see you here Colin and hoping make beautiful discoveries with you!
Max
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 03:56:50 PM by Cryptocard27 »

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2014, 11:52:39 PM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hello Max.. nice to meet you on the "Discourse".. i'll have that other Derby No. 130 Joker posted shortly... and a few more interesting decks..

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
I want a lover with a slow hand..... I want a lover with an easy touch... sing it with me!

No?

Too soon?

Well, any way - welcome aboard mate
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 01:09:29 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Lmao... I'm much more Like Eric "Slowhand" Clapton....  good song though.. as long as she doesn't try to hide an Ace up her sleeve or in her bodice!!  ;)

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 08:09:46 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
HUGE fan of card history myself... not so much of Clapton  Unless it's old Clapton like "I shot the sheriff" or "Cocaine" or "White Room" or "Sunshine of your love" or "Layla"

hmmmm, that's a lot of songs... maybe I do like Clapton  ???

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 11:37:42 PM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Hmmm.. I think you just showed 4 "Aces" Mate!... all great songs by EC... I would trade "I shot the Sheriff" for "Crossroads" or "Badge" or "Have you ever loved A Woman".. from his days with John Mayall.. :-)...  But not to get off the Playing Card thingy topic.. ( I wonder if E.C. even plays cards lol.. probably a Cricket and Dart afficionado!).. I LOVE card history also.. everything and ANYTHING concerning playing cards.. for 38 years and going strong....Now i'm off to strum my Strat... lol

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 12:20:37 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Welcome to the forum Slowhand.

I was thinking like Magic_Orthodoxy. I didn't know pointer sisters were the original singers, but I was thinking the Conway Twitty version. My Mother-in-laws favorite. Her cell phone rings "Hello Darlin"
I'm not a huge EC fan, but who doesn't love Cocaine?  the song that is.  :t11:
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 02:17:43 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
 ;D.. As someone who "Came of age" in the 70's... i reserve the right to remain Silent... lol.. How can you NOT love that song written by Mr. J.J. Cale.. may he R.I.P....."After Midnight, we gonna let it all hang down...."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:20:11 AM by Slowhand »

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 08:01:27 AM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
< - Raised on bell bottom pants and collard disco shirts

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 11:55:30 AM »

Slowhand

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Ahhhh.. the 1970's.. A decade of TRUE cutting edge Fashion.. lmfao... damn good music too... also when i found my first deck of cards... 1901 Pan-Am Exposition souvenir deck.... It was all downhill from then on... lol

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
my first album (vinyl) I got from my elementary school open house during a ring toss game. Nazareth "Hair of the Dog"

Highly inappropriate for a fourth grader and... . It was all downhill from then on... lol (+1 2 u )
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:46:43 PM by Magic_Orthodoxy »