You are Here:
World War I 100th Anniversary Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 3226 times)

World War I 100th Anniversary Playing Cards (KS)
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer
  • Don't worry, Be happy...
Hey guys, I will be launching my deck on the 11th of October. It recognizes the 100th anniversary of World War One. Here's a sneak peak of the deck.

Also, if you sign up here, you will be added to the gold level backers list. You will get regular updates in the project and stretch goals and you will receive a free collectors coin when you pledge!

Thanks guys, all the support helps. Let me know what you think of the tuck case and if you have any questions, just ask away.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:01:35 AM by Don Boyer »
I enjoy cards....

Re: (KS) Pre-launch - Sign up and get a free collectors coin
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 10:48:34 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
World War I did start in 1914 but I would not use a World War II picture on the box.  That is a whole other animal and is a bit of an insult. 

Instead use the picture of Big Bertha.  That symbolizes World War I trench warfare.  They used to call it "shell shock"  now it has a calming name called PTSD.
If you made that 101 mistake, we need to see your cards before you launch.  If you lay it all out we can help you.  Are you sure you want to say anniversary? 

"Premium Quality Playing Cards" doesn't mean much in my book...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:05:25 PM by sprouts1115 »

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 11:33:09 PM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer
That's man. We recently had to rush and completely re do the tick case. Yeah I'm happy to show you the full deck. - atrocious spelling
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:35:05 PM by Samscott10 »
I enjoy cards....

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 11:53:03 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
Well throw it out there buddy, lets see what you got.  Are you launching through Kickstarter?  If so, you might want to show your preview.  There is this guy called Jackson who once sold some "God Decks" when he meant to say "Gold Decks".  We can check for any errors like that.  You don't want to sell any God Decks do you?

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:55:19 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
World War I did start in 1914 but I would not use a World War II picture on the box.  That is a whole other animal and is a bit of an insult. 

Instead use the picture of Big Bertha.  That symbolizes World War I trench warfare.  They used to call it "shell shock"  now it has a calming name called PTSD.
If you made that 101 mistake, we need to see your cards before you launch.  If you lay it all out we can help you.  Are you sure you want to say anniversary? 

+1 Russell, I have to say I agree with you 100%

I would add that making that mistake makes me question the amount of research, or lack there of, that went into this. Makes this seem like a rushed project to throw up on KS. JMO

Just a suggestion, but instead of anniversary-maybe
World War I(not one)
100 Years Later

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 01:00:01 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I would add that making that mistake makes me question the amount of research, or lack there of, that went into this. Makes this seem like a rushed project to throw up on KS. JMO

World War I(not one)
100 Years Later

I totally agree. Anniversary sounds a tad to happy for me. If you want a single word noun, perhaps Commemoration or Memorialization may be more suited?

I'm not too sure about the huge "play cards" and the smaller "premium quality playing cards" as well. Firstly, you don't really have to emphasize on the "play cards", and secondly, you don't need to repeat it.

We haven't seen any cards so not much to comment, but you can also take a look at the Bicycle War Series from USPC as well. After all, that deck was produced in reference to the victory in WWI.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 01:28:03 AM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer

World War I(not one)
100 Years Later

I definitely see where you're coming from but trust me when i say these cards have been in the woks for a while. Although I will admit the tuck case was rushed. This was our original tuck case and we recently decided we simply could not have it and have making a new one. So that is how this slipped through. But I agree, we should be scrutinizing more strongly
I enjoy cards....

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 01:29:51 AM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer

World War I(not one)
100 Years Later

I totally agree. Anniversary sounds a tad to happy for me. If you want a single word noun, perhaps Commemoration or Memorialization may be more suited?

I'm not too sure about the huge "play cards" and the smaller "premium quality playing cards" as well. Firstly, you don't really have to emphasize on the "play cards", and secondly, you don't need to repeat it.

We haven't seen any cards so not much to comment, but you can also take a look at the Bicycle War Series from USPC as well. After all, that deck was produced in reference to the victory in WWI.

I'll post a link to the full deck shortly but yes, as explained in the previous comment, the tuck case is very new. We will definitely be making changes and I will be implementing some of these tweaks. Thanks again guys for your honest opinions, It really helps.
I enjoy cards....

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 03:17:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I see no problem using the word "anniversary".  Anniversary isn't necessarily positive or negative - it's neutral, indicating simply that something happened a certain number of years ago.  I see it as often referring to things like national tragedies such as the 9/11/2001 attacks as I do for something celebratory such as a wedding.

I do agree, however that "Premium Quality Playing Cards" means as much to me as "The check is in the mail."  Were they certified by some quality review board, or did someone's aunty say they were really nice?  It's meaningless in this context.

I'd be surprised if you didn't include the flag of France on the new tuck - a large amount of the fighting took place in that nation.  You're using the wrong US flag - the 35-star flag you depicted was taken out of commission on July 3, 1865; for the full duration of "The Great War", the flag had 48 stars on it, in a grid 8 stars wide and 6 stars tall.

The box back looks a bit bland as well.  Perhaps you could depict flags of the US/UK/Fr alliance on the front, with the opposition on the back?  Or maybe a map of Europe at the time war broke out as a wraparound?

Now, what do the cards look like - faces and backs?  Who will be your printer?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 09:01:56 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Unless I'm mistaken, the tuck features an image from World War Two the raising of the flag at iwo jima. Wrong war and wrong side of the world for World War One.

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:58 AM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer
Hey you're dead right. This rather egregious oversight has been somewhat explained in previous comments and is being fixed as we speak.

But I do appreciate you giving me your thoughts, thanks.
I enjoy cards....

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer
I see no problem using the word "anniversary".  Anniversary isn't necessarily positive or negative - it's neutral, indicating simply that something happened a certain number of years ago.  I see it as often referring to things like national tragedies such as the 9/11/2001 attacks as I do for something celebratory such as a wedding.

I do agree, however that "Premium Quality Playing Cards" means as much to me as "The check is in the mail."  Were they certified by some quality review board, or did someone's aunty say they were really nice?  It's meaningless in this context.

I'd be surprised if you didn't include the flag of France on the new tuck - a large amount of the fighting took place in that nation.  You're using the wrong US flag - the 35-star flag you depicted was taken out of commission on July 3, 1865; for the full duration of "The Great War", the flag had 48 stars on it, in a grid 8 stars wide and 6 stars tall.

The box back looks a bit bland as well.  Perhaps you could depict flags of the US/UK/Fr alliance on the front, with the opposition on the back?  Or maybe a map of Europe at the time war broke out as a wraparound?

Now, what do the cards look like - faces and backs?  Who will be your printer?

Well grandma said they looked like good quality and frankly, I trust her judgement  ;) But It's just there because I think it adds to the somewhat vintage look of the tuck case. It isn't supposed to entice people to buy directly. Also, I am still upset about france's involvement in this deck because the way the deck features work, there simply wasn't enough room. The situation with the American that is on one of the cards in the deck does in fact have the correct 48 stars. That tuck case image is an older model.

But thanks for all the tips guys, keep em' coming.

EDIT: I'm trying to show you the entire deck but I'm having trouble converting them from a PDF to something Imgur will accept in high quality.
I enjoy cards....

Re: World War I 100th Anniversary Playing Cards (KS launch Sat. 11 Oct.)
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 01:20:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Well grandma said they looked like good quality and frankly, I trust her judgement  ;) But It's just there because I think it adds to the somewhat vintage look of the tuck case. It isn't supposed to entice people to buy directly. Also, I am still upset about france's involvement in this deck because the way the deck features work, there simply wasn't enough room. The situation with the American that is on one of the cards in the deck does in fact have the correct 48 stars. That tuck case image is an older model.

But thanks for all the tips guys, keep em' coming.

EDIT: I'm trying to show you the entire deck but I'm having trouble converting them from a PDF to something Imgur will accept in high quality.

Your tuck, as presented in the new design, doesn't look the slightest bit vintage.

Why are your cards in PDF format anyway?  Most professional playing card print jobs aren't created from PDF files.  Just convert them from the original files into JPEGs - you certainly didn't create them using Acrobat!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 01:20:56 AM by Don Boyer »

World War One Deck Launched (KS)
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer
Hey Guys, I posted here a little while back and took note of what everyone had to say and made some improvements.
Anyway, we finally launched  :D and we're off to a fantastic start. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped, especially to sprouts1115 and Don Boyer for the tips.

Here is the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1717522126/100th-anniversary-world-war-one-playing-card-deck
I enjoy cards....

Re: World War One Deck Launched (KS)
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 10:56:22 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Good Luck with your project!  Also you should include images of the number cards on your KS page.

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I just pledged for the last early bird. These do look nice.

/bama

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
Happen to see this. Glad I did as I think I/a friend will enjoy this.  Though whats up with it being in AUD but free shipping in the US? I figured I was going to be considered international. Also you mention choosing the dog tag pledge, the 5th deck would be 0005. But the only one that has the dog tag is the 1 deck.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Though whats up with it being in AUD but free shipping in the US? I figured I was going to be considered international.
I think I can explain this, the creator is from Australia, so the project must be run in AUD, but the deck is printed and shipped from the US. ( Because the US has the best printers) So only backers outside the US pay extra shipping.
Sam can confirm this though.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 06:31:13 PM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer
Happen to see this. Glad I did as I think I/a friend will enjoy this.  Though whats up with it being in AUD but free shipping in the US? I figured I was going to be considered international. Also you mention choosing the dog tag pledge, the 5th deck would be 0005. But the only one that has the dog tag is the 1 deck.

Sorry, still working out the kinks :). I'll get right on it.
I enjoy cards....

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer
Though whats up with it being in AUD but free shipping in the US? I figured I was going to be considered international.
I think I can explain this, the creator is from Australia, so the project must be run in AUD, but the deck is printed and shipped from the US. ( Because the US has the best printers) So only backers outside the US pay extra shipping.

Also, I am based in AUS but shipping through amazon in America
I enjoy cards....

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer
I just pledged for the last early bird. These do look nice.

/bama

I enjoy cards....

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 11:44:30 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

One of the best are in the US. EPCC is not printed in the US
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 12:13:33 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

Yes, EPCC does not print in the US, sorry you are correct!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 12:16:31 AM by Rose »

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 01:16:24 AM »

Samscott10

• Newcomer

Yes, EPCC does not print in the US, sorry you are correct!

Yeah you are correct. I am using amazon fulfillment for shipping which ships from the US.
I enjoy cards....

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 03:34:16 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Yeah you are correct. I am using amazon fulfillment for shipping which ships from the US.

You'll have to let us know how that works out for you - some fulfillment services do a terrible job, using the cheapest, most easily damaged packing materials filled by questionably competent employees.