BTimony

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
http://monsterpinupgirls.com/
They're cute, they're sexy, they're scary and they're fun! Coming soon, a full deck of Monster Pin Up Girl Playing Cards featuring 54 illustrations by artist Bobby Timony, and a sweet Hardcover Art Book showcasing the Card Art with a foreword written by renowned artist Molly Crabapple!
Bobby Timony is the artist behind The Night Owls, The Horror Lovers, Detectobot and Goblin Hood. He’s also a contributing artist on the comic anthologies Schmuck, Monster Elementary and SitComics. Now he’s turning to the famous crowd funding sight Kickstarter to help realize his latest project, Monster Pin Up Girls.
With 54 different monsters on each card, this promises to be one of the most entertaining decks of playing cards around! Fans of art and illustration will love the hardbound art book, featuring the illustrations in the deck, plus some examples of preliminary sketches and bonus material.
The Kickstarter is running now through Halloween.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 03:42:30 AM by BTimony »

Re: [KS] Monster Pin Up Girls
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:03:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello, Bobby, and welcome to the Discourse!

I thought this might be a little helpful:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/btimony/monster-pin-up-girls-playing-cards-and-hardcover-a

Most project creators from Kickstarter actually provide the link to the project!  :))

I noticed you're calling the US Playing Card Company "Bicycle" when you mention your quote.  It's like calling General Motors "Corvette" or calling General Mills "Cheerios".  Bicycle is a brand, USPC is the company that makes the brand.

You mentioned in your project that you budgeted $3,000 for the cards AND the art book.  If that's the case, then "Bicycle" or USPC is definitely NOT your printer.  A minimum 2,500-deck print run from USPC, bare-bones basic work, would cost more than double that amount, and the overall project would need a budget at least twice as big.

I like the artwork a lot, but I've got to ask - who really is printing this deck?  It can make a world of difference.  How large of a print run are you planning to make?

As far as the layout, it's mostly just fine, but I'd recommend against letting the artwork run into the bleed.  When that happens, that art at the very edge is visible when the deck is stacked - with practice, you (or one of your opposing players) would be able to identify those cards from their edges.  A simple fade-to-white effect at the card's die line should work fine to eliminate that problem while still letting your art cover most of the card.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »

BTimony

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Yup, the quote I got was huge, and I was afraid I wouldn't get funded. So I'm currently going with MakePlayingCards.com, but if the kickstarter does well, I'll go with USPCC as a stretch goal.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
If you end up going with a quality printer let us know and I will absolutely get some of these; I love the art. Makeplayingcards.com does not print decks that are worth $15. Also your page states that you have a price quote from Bicycle which may be true, but if you are not printing through them this is misleading and should be corrected.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:40:25 PM »

BTimony

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Sorry, I thought I fort rid of all the references to bicycle. I'll fix that immediately.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »

BTimony

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Help me out. I just went through the kickstarter and I didn't see a reference to Bicycle. Can you tell me where you saw it?

Also, I do have a quote from them. It just seemed too expensive. I'll go with USPCC as a stretch goal if I get funded. Better to have it funded first I think.

As for the price, $15 doesn't seem too bad to me, especially since it includes shipping. Your mileage may vary.

Thank you for the feedback!

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:57:39 PM »

BTimony

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Nevermind, I found the reference and took it out. Thanks!

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 08:19:56 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Thanks for joining us here Bobby and welcome!
I LOVE the art style of this deck, not to mention each and every card has been customized in this fun, pin-up girl/monster, cartoon technique. Yes, it is not USPCC, although the creator has mentioned this is a stretch goal. It think it is a bit of fun and a refreshingly colorful deck. One of my favorites for this Halloween season.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 08:37:56 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I love this deck. I really hope that some how he manages to get funding for this through EPCC or USPCC. They'll stand up to use much better than MPC do.

One of the updates he posted some images of the aces. hahaha, I absolutely love this one. What a great deck. ;D
(I'm not going to be hard on it for the title on the card backs etc, it's fun.)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:40:40 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »

BTimony

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thanks. Right now, I'd be happy to just get funded, let alone reach a stretch goal!
Since you were kind enough to post Pestilence, I thought I'd share the other 3 Horsewoman of the Apocalypse.
Bobby

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 11:52:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Thanks. Right now, I'd be happy to just get funded, let alone reach a stretch goal!
Since you were kind enough to post Pestilence, I thought I'd share the other 3 Horsewoman of the Apocalypse.
Bobby

The horsewomen look great, but you should make them more consistent - either all portrait-style or landscape style.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Bobby

The horsewomen look great, but you should make them more consistent - either all portrait-style or landscape style.

I agree. Interesting art, but it should be "incorporated" into playing card format (I don't mean symmetrical figures here). You just took your art and put it on card faces.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 08:35:21 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Friendly reminder time! About a day left on the campaign. :)

This campaign has reached it's funding. If you're looking for a cute deck, with a two way back. May want to pick a deck up.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 12:29:21 PM »

BTimony

• Newcomer

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Thanks everyone! It looks like I won't reach my stretch goal, but at this point, I'm just happy to be funded! Thanks for all your encouragement and support.