You are Here:
Readyset Playing Cards [KS Live]

Author (Read 2133 times)

Readyset Playing Cards [KS Live]
« on: September 02, 2015, 06:06:58 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular

A deck by a Cardist  who's part of "the cool kids".

I don't like it but if it gets funded I'm buying a few to resale on eBay for $500 when it comes out in a different color . Haha

Now live at

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613670154/readyset-playing-cards

Re: Readyset Playing Cards [KS Live]
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 06:13:13 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I really like Chase Duncan, he is an incredibly talented flourisher, but I am a little disappointed by this deck, it doesn't have any of the design style (Flame away flameo) of his buddy Zach's deck.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:59:19 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
I really like Chase Duncan, he is an incredibly talented flourisher, but I am a little disappointed by this deck, it doesn't have any of the design style (Flame away flameo) of his buddy Zach's deck.

What do you mean it doesn't have any of the design style of Zach?

It's a "custom back" with standard bicycle faces. Same as the fontaines, if you ask me. Except for the so called jokers, and ace of spade.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Got halfway through the video before I was too bored to continue.

Deck design - not flawed, really, but as exciting as watching toenails grow.  Not even flashy for a cardistry deck like the Virtuoso deck - that's a cardistry deck, this is a vanity project.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 08:29:12 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Not even flashy for a cardistry deck like the Virtuoso deck - that's a cardistry deck, this is a vanity project.

I love the virtuoso !

Yeah, not very impressed with this one either.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 09:59:56 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

It's a "custom back" with standard bicycle faces. Same as the fontaines, if you ask me. Except for the so called jokers, and ace of spade.

Wait, I need to make sure I understand you before I can answer your question: you think that every deck with a custom back and standard faces are the same from a design perspective?

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 10:17:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Wait, I need to make sure I understand you before I can answer your question: you think that every deck with a custom back and standard faces are the same from a design perspective?

Consider the level of customization, the depth of the design, etc.  Fontaines are about as simple as it gets - but these aren't that much better.  Didn't Zach brag about how the original design took him all of twenty minutes or something to "create?"  Though I will say that the hand-drawn design of this back is actually one-way, if you look hard enough, because of variances in the pen strokes used to fill in the fields of color.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 04:04:47 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I'm afraid I don't understand. I was going to watch the video on the KS... oh look, a something else.  :t11:
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 04:29:34 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
The video was a waste of time -- one of the worst I've seen for any KS campaign.

The printer hasn't been mentioned either. Doesn't look like anywhere near as much time has been put into creating this campaign, in comparison to the serious campaigns by serious (and successful) playing card designers.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The video was a waste of time -- one of the worst I've seen for any KS campaign.

The printer hasn't been mentioned either. Doesn't look like anywhere near as much time has been put into creating this campaign, in comparison to the serious campaigns by serious (and successful) playing card designers.

These days, most card campaign videos are a waste of time.  If you can't do something with polish and professionalism, it's often not worth doing anything at all.  Uusi and Emmanuel Jose did some rocking videos for their more recent campaigns.  But if all you're going to do is play loud music and show cardistry moves, or worse, show animated video of card renders and play some craptacular royalty-free background music, save the time and effort and just make the cards.

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 07:14:29 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular

To me, (my personal opinion) a deck with a double logo back design, and all standard faces (not even an ace as of now!) is as boring as it gets. May not be technically the same due to the difference in back, but everything else yes.

These days, most card campaign videos are a waste of time.  If you can't do something with polish and professionalism, it's often not worth doing anything at all.  Uusi and Emmanuel Jose did some rocking videos for their more recent campaigns.  But if all you're going to do is play loud music and show cardistry moves, or worse, show animated video of card renders and play some craptacular royalty-free background music, save the time and effort and just make the cards.

Man, am I glad to hear this! I was worried my campaign was going to be "judged" for not having a video.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 07:26:35 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

To me, (my personal opinion) a deck with a double logo back design, and all standard faces (not even an ace as of now!) is as boring as it gets. May not be technically the same due to the difference in back, but everything else yes.

That makes sense. Fontaines may be simple, and even uninteresting, but they are at least still attractive, at the very least they are not unattractive. These are garish, the design is amateurish at best, looking like a colored pencil drawing in a highschool notebook. These aren't boring, they are hideous. Which is worse to me.

Man, am I glad to hear this! I was worried my campaign was going to be "judged" for not having a video.

Not including a video is not a bad thing, I wouldn't even worry about that, if you have a good design it will speak for itself.
Including a video can be (is) a great way to promote your deck, something with quality and purpose.
Adding a bad video is like attacking me personally and can kill a project.

Stay away from that last one.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:27:01 PM by Justin O. »

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2015, 07:32:22 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Not including a video is not a bad thing, I wouldn't even worry about that, if you have a good design it will speak for itself.
Including a video can be (is) a great way to promote your deck, something with quality and purpose.
Adding a bad video is like attacking me personally and can kill a project.

Stay away from that last one.

Thanks, will do.

And you are right. The Fn cards do look somewhat decent to the eye and on videos/photos.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:32:45 PM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 08:43:21 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
For me video is a good way to have a look of the printed cards, especially the colour variation of the deck.
I was pretty disappointed with 1 project which was fulfilled recently. On the campaign the tuck and back colour look much deeper then the actual cards. so that was a let down..

Back for more

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:24 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
For me video is a good way to have a look of the printed cards, especially the colour variation of the deck.
I was pretty disappointed with 1 project which was fulfilled recently. On the campaign the tuck and back colour look much deeper then the actual cards. so that was a let down..

Most prototypes are by MPC. And they all print much darker. I've printed a few.

That is something that does have to be taken in consideration most importantly as a designer but also as a consumer, but I'm sure it doesn't happen often. Sorry it did happen this one time. Who was it printed by ?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:47:53 PM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
It was printed by USPCC  :(
Back for more

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 09:00:43 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular

I hate to admit I'm not surprised.

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 09:25:21 PM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

I hate to admit I'm not surprised.
That is the reason I rarely backed USPCC printed deck..Unless they are created by well known designers.
If I had known about LPCC and EPCC when this campaign was running, I would have dropped my pledge.

Back for more

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 11:14:39 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Video usually is of an inferior resolution to still images - photos are a much better way to go to get a closer look at the art.  They're also generally more accurate with color reproduction.  Playing cards can be moved, shuffled, fanned, spread, etc., but until they develop actual moving parts, still images will still be the better way to see the details of the design.  Certain designs when used in cardistry have a unique appearance, but that appearance can usually be figured out by looking at the still image of the design and it only applies to cardistry-specific elements of design.