You are Here:
Steampunk themed deck

Author (Read 1049 times)

Steampunk themed deck
« on: September 10, 2015, 04:08:40 AM »

Sixpence

• Newcomer
I'm curious to get people's thoughts on this.

Re: Steampunk themed deck
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 04:12:35 AM »

Sixpence

• Newcomer
The rest, since there's a limit to the number of attachments

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 12:53:13 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
First thing that strikes me right off is the inconsistent court sizes. Sizing is important for the overall feel, when people see things of different sizes it's not as smooth as it should be. Our minds take note of this even though not everyone may know why when they're looking at the deck overall. It can be off putting.

Secondly, the odd border I see along your face cards. The muckity doo vintage leather looking stuff. It's not going to come out as well as you're going to want when the product is printed. Regardless of printer, it's very difficult for them to match the cut on each card some printers like USPCC, forget about it entirely. I'd recommend either a solid color border on the face cards, white or black or whatever you like over the leathery stuff.

The card back is full bleed from what I can see and you'll have the same problem with the end result stated above, the deck won't be cut to look right. It looks like you're going for a one way back anyway so it may or may not matter to you. Most card players and collectors tend to shy away from one way backs and will only purchase one or two decks for solitaire play or just to have in their collection. I'd suggest evening it up so it's a two way back and fading the design to black on the borders. Should be able to keep the feel of the card back and be cleaner for use and printing.

Lastly your indices shown here are going to be difficult to easily see and distinguish as they are. In my humble opinion, you're better suited with the classic colors and styles pips on the indicators. The font choice is also going to be somewhat difficult to read. Maybe a simplified version of the font would work a bit better and still retain the feel you have for the deck as well as being able to be used on the Joker. As it is the Joker reads much differently from the others, for good or bad whichever, they don't match well as is.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 10:59:10 PM »

Sixpence

• Newcomer
Thank you for your feedback! Is there a place where best practices about things like full bleed backs are collected? I'm eager to read them if so.

Also, in another thread I saw some folks bemoaning USPCC and Ad Magic's quality. I'm not super surprised at Ad Magic, though I personally find their stuff more than satisfactory, I'm a gamer, not a magician or anything. But I am surprised at USPCC, I expected them to be the gold standard. What other manufacturers do have better reputations?

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 11:55:36 PM »

Jay Losa

• Forum Regular
Thank you for your feedback! Is there a place where best practices about things like full bleed backs are collected? I'm eager to read them if so.

Also, in another thread I saw some folks bemoaning USPCC and Ad Magic's quality. I'm not super surprised at Ad Magic, though I personally find their stuff more than satisfactory, I'm a gamer, not a magician or anything. But I am surprised at USPCC, I expected them to be the gold standard. What other manufacturers do have better reputations?

Legends playing card co.

Expert playing card co.

Are tho two I know. Uspcc is still "the big dog" , but the other two are showing them up. They get their borders 100% perfect, something you can only dream of with  uspcc. I just purchased a few decks from them to see what they're all about, and they're stock is nice !
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:56:05 PM by Jay Losa »

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 01:08:01 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

There's a place, sure - the entire board!

Kidding aside, there's no firm, hard rules in the design of a deck - it depends on what you're trying to achieve with it.  I do consulting work with designers to help them find their direction and figure out what to include/leave out to make their dream deck.  Design rules for functionality are out there, but they can be bent or even broken - I've said this many, many times.

The old-timey parchment look is pretty tired by now, especially since the Victorian era isn't exactly associated with parchment - we were printing books by then and using paper not much different than what's available at a good stationery these days.  A look more like antique laid paper - in new condition, as it would have appeared in the "steampunk" age - might be more appealing.

In general, if you're talking about function - and only function, not artistry or style - printing into the bleed is best avoided for both faces and backs.  I gave a video demonstration here on some of the pitfalls of printing into the bleed.  I show how certain design flaws in a popular limited-edition deck can be exploited by the advantage player or magician - I was able to pull court cards out of the deck, identify a card as being red or black and find a card lost in the deck just using the deck's appearance from the edge.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:09:34 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Here's the deal with printers. No one is ever going to be perfect, that's impossible given the nature of the process. There are however companies who try harder than others. USPCC is one of the companies that doesn't try quite as hard as one would expect or hope. There are excuses tossed around for this reason or that, ultimately the proof is in the pudding and lately that pudding isn't as choice as it should be never mind what it could be. Sure they do occasionally print a show off deck, where they flex their printing muscle and prowess. There is a constant debate going on about who make the best playing cards. No point in drawing that in here.

Admagic is a great printer. They print some of the finest card and board games made today. Here is the thing though, they print games. Games require a shuffle rarely as opposed to a deck of playing cards where you will shuffle the deck many many more times. 1 hand of poker for example = 7 ruffle shuffles. 1 game = 2-3 shuffles or card mixing maneuvers. Expand that over game times, poker vs a board game you get an idea of just how much more wear a deck of playing cards will see than a deck of board game cards. Ultimately here is the biggest difference between the two. Playing card printers print playing cards, board games printers print board game components.

To answer the question of what other manufacturers have a better reputation than USPCC. The short long answer is none. The reputation has been built over a very, very long time, etc etc.

There are companies building reputation now and doing a very good job of it. Legends playing cards and Expert playing cards are the two prime examples of this. Neither is without flaws or blemishes themselves though far less on the actual cards than the soulless brand protector. These companies are out stepping the rest at the moment in terms of what can be done and how precise each deck can be.

Best bet with full bleed playing cards etc, have a look around and check them out. You'll see various flaws showing up it's just the nature of the business. Youtube is a great resource for this too, a few deck reviews will point out things. Like Don said, the whole forum is a great place to look too. So many decks discussed here. Just remember, opinions and tones, take those with a grain of salt. They're prone to changing.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:21:19 PM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »

The London magician

• True Member
Hi Sixpence,

Personally, I very much dislike full bleed playing cards unless they're done very cleverly. Everyone has the potential to make great full bleed cards, but sometimes they just don't put their mind to it and often ruin a perfectly good deck. If you listen to all the advice that everyone has posted, I'm sure you'll end up with a great back design.

Good luck,

Alex