You are Here:
Salutations!

Author (Read 3855 times)

Salutations!
« on: December 05, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Hi, my name is Emmanuel, and fellow Discourse member Brown_Baggs introduced me to this site  :D

Since I was a kid I've always loved playing cards for their artistry, and I'm finally doing something about my fascination with them by designing a transformation deck this year.

I'm amazed by the amount of information here, and I have no doubt that The Discourse will become a new favorite site of mine!

Re: Salutations!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Welcome to the forums Emmanuel!
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Welcome to the Discourse. You will absolutely love it here. I cannot wait to see "The Transformation Deck", hopefully become a reality. It is so artsy and amazing.

Have fun here!
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:48:31 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Ahh there you are. Good to see you on here. We all eagerly anticipate the Transformation deck, and it's not every day we get good artists on board.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 01:26:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Welcome, have fun.  Just remember to leave the toilet seat down, there are a few ladies present...  ;)
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Thank you everyone!

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 04:33:49 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
By the way - you did happen to notice that most of us are chomping at the bit to see that deck of yours get published with all due haste so we can make you sell out of them, right?
 8) ;D :D ;)

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 04:43:47 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Hey Emmanuel, glad to see you checked the discourse out!! I'm sure you'll dig all the information and community that the discourse offers. And many of us look forward to your deck!

Cheers  :)
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:39 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
By the way - you did happen to notice that most of us are chomping at the bit to see that deck of yours get published with all due haste so we can make you sell out of them, right?
 8) ;D :D ;)

Aww, that's great of you guys  ;D

To think that I didn't even consider printing the cards when I began. This deck really did just start out as a personal art project.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 06:52:58 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

To think that I didn't even consider printing the cards when I began. This deck really did just start out as a personal art project.

Wait a minute... you never had the idea of making an actual deck in mind? Wow. That's really interesting actually. So, this is totally just art, it's not purely based on how well a deck of cards will sell. That certainly makes me think what would happen if all decks started off as solely art projects. :P
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

Wait a minute... you never had the idea of making an actual deck in mind? Wow. That's really interesting actually. So, this is totally just art, it's not purely based on how well a deck of cards will sell. That certainly makes me think what would happen if all decks started off as solely art projects. :P

Lushbob, most of them do start out as art projects. There are some that are simply for cash, and those stick out like a sore thumb. Most good decks though were the vision of somebody (art wise).
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 11:08:57 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
Welcome to the discourse Emmanuel! Enjoy ;)

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Welcome Emmanuel!

You're among fellow card enthusiasts.

Enjoy the site!

Jay aka CBJ
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 09:41:28 PM »

Victoria

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Hey, Emmanuel! Welcome to The Discourse!

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Lushbob, most of them do start out as art projects. There are some that are simply for cash, and those stick out like a sore thumb. Most good decks though were the vision of somebody (art wise).

I meant companies like Ellusionist and Theory11. Obviously, their decks are art pieces (at least most of them are), but they weren't made solely for the purpose of being a display of artwork; they were created to be a deck of cards. If every deck was made solely to be a way to display art, and the idea of actually mass producing them and selling them as a deck was an afterthought, then what would cards be like? Although, of course, companies wouldn't be able to do this; once they designed and sold one deck, they'd create the other decks to sell, rather than to just display art. But it's an interesting concept, I think.

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 04:34:39 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I meant companies like Ellusionist and Theory11. Obviously, their decks are art pieces (at least most of them are), but they weren't made solely for the purpose of being a display of artwork; they were created to be a deck of cards. If every deck was made solely to be a way to display art, and the idea of actually mass producing them and selling them as a deck was an afterthought, then what would cards be like? Although, of course, companies wouldn't be able to do this; once they designed and sold one deck, they'd create the other decks to sell, rather than to just display art. But it's an interesting concept, I think.

Some deck projects are indeed intended to be works of art from start to finish.

http://blackrevolver.com/brokenspell/

I have one of these, they look gorgeous.  And it's not the first such project.  No, they're no E or T11 (or Merz67, thankfully), but they aren't a one-hit wonder, either.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:35:46 PM by Good@Sabacc »

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about; if all decks were like that.

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Welcome to the Discourse i am looking forward to your transformation deck :D

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 04:35:16 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:

This is interesting because all artists face this dilemma: should I make art for A) art's sake, B) enjoyment's sake, or C) money's sake?  Of course these aren't mutually exclusive, but it's definitely an issue that an artist/designer should be aware of.

I'm freely going to admit that the interest in my deck has influenced my decision to make changes (creating the jokers, the back, coming up with a name for the deck). However, this deck is first and foremost a means for me to end my artistic drought (I was an art major, but my day job is in no way artistic at all).

Call me crazy, but I want to create a new deck every year. Would I print and sell them? Of course I could. For me, it's an exhilirating challenge to design a deck, and my life is better because of art.

I can't fault people or companies that make cards solely for profit, because it keeps the market interesting for collectors. Also, you have to have the bad to enjoy the good.

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Welcome aboard :)

Hope to see some of your work on the boards
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »

chdmagicdude

• Discourse Lover

• YouTube:
Welcome to the Discourse.

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 02:53:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Call me crazy, but I want to create a new deck every year. Would I print and sell them? Of course I could. For me, it's an exhilirating challenge to design a deck, and my life is better because of art.

I can't fault people or companies that make cards solely for profit, because it keeps the market interesting for collectors. Also, you have to have the bad to enjoy the good.

A deck a year, that's far from crazy.  Look at Dan and Dave Buck (www.dananddave.com) - lately they appear to be releasing a deck every two weeks...

And no, we don't HAVE to have the BAD!  Please!  It's out there, to be sure (www.merz67.com is a good place to find the bad) but that doesn't mean that it must exist to appreciate the good.  I think something that's good will stand on its own two legs and can be appreciated as good solely because it's good, not because it's better than something that's bad.

Then again, one person's good is another's bad, and vice versa...

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I wasn't aware of merz67.com, but yeah, I see what you mean now, haha.

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I wasn't aware of merz67.com, but yeah, I see what you mean now, haha.

He's a fine purveyor of self-created overpriced decks whose only "design features" are some clip art and some color tweaks, plus fart machines, Billy Bob mullet wigs and other fine apparel and sundries...

Most designers I'd never knock, 'cause it takes work, effort, skill, talent, etc. that I simply don't possess.  The merz67-designed decks display absolutely nothing more then that he's a person with more cash than brains trying to separate people with even less brains from their cash.